Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Livin the College Life

Hello all,

I will try to give you all a tour of our lovely hotel accommodations (they aren't that bad) in a few days, but the quality of Internet speed is lacking tonight so stay tuned.  I do feel like I'm back in college though:  everything I own (that I have access to) is jammed into one room, I am watching a 27" tube TV, and I only eat things that can be prepared in the microwave, cereal or fast food.  Needless to say, this is not a deviation from Greg's standard daily routine, so he seems fine with it.  I do not watch Caddyshack daily, so that is an upgrade from college. We have a VCR in our room, so if I had my VHS collection it would Caddyshack would definitely be in the rotation.

We are starting to adapt a bit to life here, but definitely long for the day that our car arrives.  We had been trying to get cell phones for the past week here on post.  They were like dealing with used car salesmen though, and we finally got mad enough (after 4 trips) that we took a taxi downtown and dealt with the Germans to get our phones.  The folks on post were very misleading, and had lead us to believe there would be all kinds of cash required up front to open up an account off post - Not the case.  Life is a bit better now that we can communicate daily.

Other than that, Greg continues his in processing this week.  I am taking a newcomer's class daily called SNAPS.  It has been great so far, as I am meeting people that are going through the same things we are.  The class is full of excellent information on how to live comfortably as an American in Germany.  SO glad I signed up for it.  On Thursday we are going on a walking tour of downtown Schweinfurt and learning how to use the local German transit system.  Then on Friday, we are riding the train to Bamberg.

Hope to be better about keeping in touch this week, talk to you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment